What is lead poisoning?
Lead is a toxic metal that can build up in your body, causing severe problems that may be fatal. It is important to understand if you are at higher risk for lead poisoning and what the related symptoms are to help make your home environment safe. Because lead-based paint was banned in 1978, any home built before this time should be inspected. It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes lead poisoning.
Am I or my family at risk? Many people may ask themselves this question when learning about lead poisoning. One of the sure signs of higher risk is If you currently live in an older home that was built before 1978. One reason is, back then homes were painted with lead-based paint. Sometimes the lead paint chips off and presents a high risk for children. Lead paint chips are a high target for infants and little toddlers because they are known to put anything and everything in their mouths. If ingested, lead can cause both physical and mental problems, including severe mental impairment in infants. Lead poisoning can also come from exterior paint dust, lead in the pipes and various other instances. In order to be safe, it is important to get your home inspected for lead and get risks taken care of.
Getting a lead inspection
If you are moving into a home, whether renting or buying, if it was built before 1978, it is always a good idea to get a lead inspection. This promotes awareness and allows you to make the needed changes, such as painting, or other needed repairs to avoid contamination before it happens. Know if your home is at high risk and what steps you can take for a safer home environment.
Signs of lead poisoning
Lead poisoning may affect each person differently. A major concern for parents of young children is the possible developmental delays caused by lead poisoning. Also, loss of appetite and weight loss, fatigue, or vomiting can be signs that you or your loved one have lead poisoning. The signs and symptoms can vary between children and adults. For a full list of symptoms, check out this Mayo Clinic page about lead poisoning. If you suspect that you or a member of your family may be exposed to lead and have any symptoms, contact your local medical care facility immediately.
For lead inspections, contact a company such as Kirby Environmental.Share